Sources

Everything that I share here is in use within my own kindergarten and home. Where the source of any material or ideas is known I will share it. It is never my intention to steal anyone ideas or copyright. If you feel something I have offered should be credited to another source please let me know, and I will do so. Where I have used ideas or text for sometime it is possible that I no longer remember where it came from. I may never have known as I have worked in this business for a long time.

I am always happy to learn. Ria.

Saturday 20 November 2010

Orchard Toys: Big Bad Wolf

 Big Bad Wolf by Orchard Toys
This game is suitable for young Pixies and those who are a little bit older too.
It involves several distinct skill areas:

  • Sharing ( PSED making relationships)
  • Number and colour recognition  ( PSRN colour, shapes and patterns)
  • Turn taking ( PSED behaviour and self control)
  • Fairy Tale awareness. 

In older children it also allows for some 'nonsense' mixing of figures too, which itself leads to story formation and use of rich language to give new names and character descriptions .

A dice is used which has just basic colours on and then the pixies must match the colour on the dice to the colour spots on the back of the cards. An easy skill in which to engage the youngest members of the group. Matching of three cards to make a character from fairy tales allows basic jigsaw making and recognition of  matching pictures, all wrapped up in a very good  game that does not go on too long.

Sadly not a game currently available at Orchard Toys but maybe it can be picked up from Ebay or from a local charity shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment